Thursday, July 29, 2010

0049. Xena: Warrior Princess


Xena was originally a minor character on the late 90's television show Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, but went on to have her own series Xena: Warrior Princess. Portrayed by Lucy Lawless, she was a fierce and independent female protagonist. She became a pop culture icon that is referenced both humorously and reverently.  She became a lesbian icon as well, because of her ambiguous relationship with her best friend and travel companion, Gabrielle.

I'll be honest, I wasn't a Xena watcher.  But I remember that day in middle school, when New York radio Station Z100 was having one of their trivia contests for tickets to some pop concert I wouldn't be caught dead at, and the question was something about a Television character that was revered as a lesbian icon.  After a few minutes of wrong answers from callers, he clarified that it was not necessarily a lesbian character.  When the answer, Xena, came up, I filed it away in the part of my brain that was expanding my understanding of how complex gender and sexuality was.

Oh, then I looked her up on the internet (at the time, we hadn't started calling it "googling" yet.  Imagine!) to see if there were any pictures of her kissing another woman.

1 comment:

  1. oh dang this may be my favorite yet, you made her look so hella hot. D:

    ReplyDelete